Sunday, December 10, 2006

 
Wind in the Rigging
A half a lifetime ago, before marriage and kids, house payments and doctor bills, I was able to get involved in sailing. At night, while in a bunk below or curled up on deck, the action of the waves would cause the halyards to slap against the hollow metal mast. I like that sound.
Sometimes the wind, blowing through the rigging, would make a howling sound. It was soothing, comforting. (Unless there was too much wind, since I am prone to sea- sickness.)
Now after thirty five years at the same address Memaw and I have sold our home and live half the time in a rather large fifth wheel travel trailer.
There are no halyards, stays, sheets or spreaders, but there are fabric awnings. The small ones are secured to the exterior by nylon straps which vibrate when the wind blows. The big main awning sounds like the mainsail flopping.
When the force of the wind is strong enough the sound is rather loud. At other times it’s kind’a nice. Sometimes, in the middle of the night it disturbs my sleep.
Memaw mostly isn’t bothered because of her hearing loss, but I will probably alter those pesky little straps and perhaps, once that is done, sleep the whole night through.
When the breezes are gentle, I suppose, like the halyard slapping against the mast, I’ll miss hearing it.

Ain’t God good?

Charlie

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?