Sunday, January 18, 2004

 
What is Contemporary Christian Music?

One "fallen" televangelist whose style of music sounds like honky tonk says it is of the devil.
It seems to me that during the ninteen eighties a revolution began in Christian music.
Some of the artists of that era turned their lives to Christ and brought into Christianity their style of music with Christian lyrics.
Rez band, Joe English, Mylon LeFevre for example.

When our then teenage daughter went to concerts, so did I, to "check out" what was happening.
At first I was confused. Then I came to realise, music is cultural. What became important to me was not the style of music, but the content, the lyrics.
Recently I was blessed to recieve two nearly "new" tapes of Mylon's "Broken Heart."
I have been enjoying them while riding in my car.
The music is at times raucous, sometimes almost serene.
Thundering guitars, booming drums, keyboard... and can you believe it? Into that mix, sometimes, a wailing saxophone.
Some of the songs were based on scripture, some were love songs to Jesus.
One of them was: Crucible of Love. The words to the chorus are:

"Oh now I know
That you touched me
To refine me like a crucible
Oh now I know that you love me
And refine me like a crucible of love"

Sung by Mylon in his high pitched south Georgia drawl.
I grew to appreciate "contemporary" Christian music.
I still do.

Proverbs 17:3 "The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold, but the LORD tests the heart."

Zechariah 13:9 " .............and refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say: The LORD is my GOD.

I still can't define contemporay Christian music. Can you?

Shalom, Y'all

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?