Monday, August 12, 2002

 
The night was hot, humid, still.
The "girls", grandmother and teen age grand daughter were allowing Pretty, the Dalmation to walk them around the block and they demanded that I tag along.
I let them get ahead listened and watched.
Aren is slender and almost as tall as Memaw, and I remember.
I remember when she was soooo small. I carried her in the crook of my arm 'til it seemed the arm would break, but I would not relinquish my hold.
I remember when she could barely talk (or walk) and when the door opened upon our arrival she screamed "POPPY, POPPY.
No one knows where she first heard that word, but all the succeeding grandchildren now use it too.
I remember one winter when there actually was snow!
Enough stayed on the drive that her dad scooped it up in the morning and made a pathetic little snowman. He put it on the hood of the car and as the day warmed, it began to slide off.
By the time we had made the three and a half hour drive to their house it was nearly gone, there on the ground, and she announced "it swipped."
I remember laying on the grass on the riverbank, on our backs, looking at the clouds. She could identify shapes I couldn't even imagine.
I remember saying goodbye on the phone; she said "I love you," and was impatient for me to answer "I love you too, honey."
"Sunrise, Sunset, swiftly go the years, one season following the other....................I don't remember growing older, when did they?"
Three days and gone back home.
How special when they come and visit one at a time!
Have a good school year, Aren
I love you,
Poppy

"Suffer the little children to come unto me, for such is the Kingdom of Heaven."


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?