Sunday, August 25, 2002

 
Nematodes are microscopic villains which have invaded the soil in my raised garden areas.
They burrow into the roots of my beans and seminole pumpkins and suck the life-blood from them.
I am told by those who should know that adding organic matter to the soil (sand) will control the invading hoard.
Today I read articles about nematode control by university experts.
They were not encouraging.The controls they mentioned were more in the kill the patient to rid the disease mode. They said adding organic matter has not been scietifically proven to be of great benefit.
Science is often more of a trial and error method than most scientists will admit.
I certanly hope that proves true in this instance since I have been transporting dried horse manure from the stables of a lady who physically can no longer clean the stalls herself.
Hopefully, the benefit will be two-fold.
With temperatures and humidity in the ninetys and my sixty plus year old body no longer attuned to physical labor, it would be a shame if the benefits are minimal.
There about one hundred twenty square feet of raised beds scattered around our little back yard. I have now added so much of the "stuff" that down to a depth of about eight inches the ratio is about fifty percent "stuff" and fifty percent dirt (sand).
In a few weeks the fall garden season will begin.
Here, in Southwest Florida, things are often kind of reversed.
I sincerely hope that my efforts have not been in vain.
Now I only need to push down a well. I'm too cheap to irrigate my gardens with city water, although the chemicals are probably better for the plants than they are for my creaky old body.

He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man; that he may bring forth food out of the earth. Psalms 104:14

Shalom

P. S. I have been taught most of my life that God has a purpose for all creatures.
Is the purpose of nematodes to try my patience?
Perhaps over time and adaptation (not evolution) they have developed characteristics that differ from their indended Purpose?
Oh well !

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?