Wednesday, March 27, 2002

 
Good morning.
I was riding my bicycle through the village. I made a wrong turn and was in a residential neighborhood riding leisurely along when a little girl came up beside and wanted to play with the microphone protruding out of my shirt pocket. It was like the mikes to the karaoke machines.
She imagined she was an announcer and had a great time. What a wonderful child, she was able to use her imagination to take her to another place, another reality.
When we got to the corner she gave me back the microphone since she was not allowed past the end of the street.
Two fellows in a pick up truck were watching us closely but when we parted, they drove away. Nice town, they were protecting the little girl.
I stopped and asked directions since I was obviously lost.
The fellow pointed to the nearby mountain. My destination is on the other side, he told me.
The lights of the houses on the side of the mountain glittered in the twilight.
Me, ride this bike over that mountain? I thought.
What is that sound? An alarm clock! 5:AM. Time to get up and face another day.
For once I was glad to hear that alarm; I did not want to ride a bicycle bicycle over that mountain.

A person who can speak many languages is not necessarily more valuable than a person who can listen in only one.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?